Study Results: Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy in Tendinopathies
PRP is a new innovative treatment for healing joint and soft tissue pain, low back disc degeneration and arthritis. It stimulates the body’s natural healing forces, enabling most patients to avoid invasive surgery and aggressive long-term medications such as anti-inflammatories, steroid injections and epidurals.
At Southwest Spine and Sports we are proud to be at the forefront of education and research for regenerative medicine and interventional spine care. A team of physicians, made up of Drs. Michael Wolff, Thomas Coury, Philip Wallace, Anthony Lee, and Miriam Griggs conducted a study on patient outcomes following platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment. The study tracked 92 patients over a nine-month period from January 1, 2009 – August 31, 2009 as they underwent PRP therapy.
During the study, autologous platelet-rich plasma was administered, using ultrasound guidance, to tendons and ligaments where patients were experiencing pain. The outcomes measured were pre-procedure VAS (Visual Analogue Scale), post-procedure VAS, functional improvements, and overall patient satisfaction.
The results of the study were as follows:
- 68% of patients reported improvement in pain (lasting at least 2-3 months)
- Pre-VAS score average was 7.6; post-VAS score average was 3.5, an average improvement of 54%
- Of those who improved, the average VAS improvement was 74%
- 97% of those who improved were able to cite a specific functional improvement in their ADLs or level of activity Overall satisfaction average was 3.4 (scale of 1-5, 1 = not satisfied at all, 5 = very satisfied)
- 73% said they would recommend it to another or have it again themselves
- There were no complications during the study. The average post-injection soreness lasted 2-3 days.
The results point to one conclusion: platelet-rich plasma is a safe, natural, and effective therapy for injuries to tendons and ligaments.
PRP is a safe, all-natural treatment for pain of all types. If you’re experiencing pain, call our team of expert physicians at Southwest Spine & Sports today!